8 Facts About Chinese Crested Terriers
- Though when seen some people think they are entirely different breeds, both the hairless and powderpuff varieties of Chinese Crested Terriers can be born in the same litter.
- A number of Chinese Crested Terriers have won the title of World’s Ugliest Dog, despite this there is quite a following of them among dog lovers.
- Most of a Chinese Crested Terrier’s teeth are pointy, similar to their canines.
- Chinese Crested Terriers have been associated with China since the 13th century, but appear to have their origins in Africa.
- Early Chinese Crested Terriers were used as rat catchers, especially on ships.
- The Chinese Crested Terrier was first recognized by the UK Kennel Club in 1981 and by the American Kennel Club in 1991.
- Famous burlesque entertainer Gypsy Rose Lee owned a great number of Chinese Crested Terriers and is partly responsible for increasing awareness of the breed.
- Famous fictional Chinese Crested Terriers: Halston in Ugly Betty, Fluffy in 102 Dalmatians, Renaldo in the movie New York Minute, and Krull in the movie How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days.