8 Facts About The American Cocker Spaniel
- The American Cocker Spaniel was originated in the United Kingdom and brought to Canada and the United States in the 1880’s.
- The most common cause of death in Cocker Spaniels is cancer and followed closely by that is old age.
- Famous owners of American Cocker Spaniels: Richard Nixon, Oprah Winfrey, and Albert Staehl.
- American Cocker Spaniels are the smallest of all the recognized Spaniel breeds.
- The only fatality in the infamous Tacoma Narrows Bridge collapse was an American Cocker Spaniel named Tubby.
- American Cocker Spaniels and English Cocker Spaniels are the only Spaniel breeds allowed to compete together in authorized Cocker Field Trials in the United States.
- Until the creation of the English Cocker Spaniel designation in the 1930’s, the American Cocker Spaniel was referred to as just “Cocker Spaniel”, it was changed to emphasize the differences between the two breeding lines.
- American Cocker Spaniels on the screen: Lucky Bundy from Married… With Children, Lady from Lady and the Tramp, and the dog from the original Coppertone commercial.