8 Facts About Chow Chows
• Chow Chows originated as a breed in China.
• The Chinese name for the breed translates as “Puffy Lion”.
• The Chow Chow is the dog most affected by elbow dysplasia.
• The Chow Chow was introduced to Europe and the Middle East by invaders from Mongolia.
• To this day it is not uncommon for some farms in China to raise Chow Chows for both meat and hides.
• It is believed that the Chow Chow was used as the model for the traditional stone guards outside of Budhist temples and palaces.
• Most every Chow Chow has a black-blue, or purple, colored tongue.
• The Chow Club, recognized by the AKC as the parent organization of the Chow Chow breed, was started in 1906.