8 Facts About Dachsunds
- Dachsund in German means “Badger Dog”.
- Due to their excessively long spine, Dachsunds are prone to back and spine injuries.
- Famous owners of Dachsunds: Pablo Picasso, Kaiser Wilhelm II, David Hockney, and General Claire Lee Chennault.
- Legend has it that the American Hot Dog may have been inspired by the Dachsund.
- The first written references to the Dachsund occur in books from the early 1700’s.
- The Dachsund was the first official mascot (named Waldi) of the 1972 Olympic Games in Germany.
- When used for hunting wild boars, Dachsunds were trained to allow themselves to be chased and then lay down and attack the boar from underneath (in the throat or genitalia).
- Famous fictional Dachsunds: Schotzie in That 70’s Show, Slinky in the Toy Story movies, Itchy in All Dogs Go To Heaven, Wiener Dog on The Norm Show, Fetch Armstrong (Stretch Armstrong’s pet), Odie from the Garfield comic strip and movies, Hundley in Curious George, and Mr. Weenie in Open Season.